Thursday, February 10, 2011

Oklahoma City was a blessing!

Today we returned home from our trip to Oklahoma City to meet with a Neuro Opthamologist who I have been trying to get into for 4 months.  Nic and I headed down to Oklahoma yesterday afternoon to make sure that we had enough time to get there with the snow coming in.  I called the office early in the morning to see if they were going to close at all due to the weather and I needed to know since we would be driving around 200 miles for this appointment.  They told me it would be pretty slim on them closing since they did last week and they were so behind with patients.

We were about 25 minutes away from getting there and I get a call saying that they are going to have to cancel my appointment due to the weather and reschedule it for Friday.  I talked with them and let them know we were almost in town and that I really needed to get in today if possible.  They talked with Dr. Farris and he was going to be gone since he was called into an emergency eye surgery.  I checked to see if there was any way that I could wait and see him after the surgery since we had driven all this way and taken off work.  They said to get there as soon as we could and they would get started and then I would have to wait an hour and a half until he would be out of surgery.

We made it to the Dean McGee Eye Institute and headed in to Dr. Farris' office.  They started a few tests on me and said that I did really well.  They tested my visual field and my eye pressure and things looked good.  Nic and I waited about an hour and a half and Dr. Farris walked in.  He had a large stack of papers that Dr. Park had sent him on me including the newspaper article from the Derby paper.  He sat down and said I have read over your things but I would like to hear it from you.  I proceeded to tell him the shortened version of the story as he made some notes.  He did a bunch of testing on me and then had me walk across the hall to his office where he wanted me to focus on a building while looking out the window.  He had me try on some lens and messed around with the prisms in them.  I finally got to see one building for the first time.  It was awesome!  We walked back over to the exam room and he continued with a few more tests.  He decided to dilate my eyes so he put some drops in and said he would like to take a look at my brain scans while my eyes started to dilate.  He returned and sat down in front of me and said all I have to say is that it is a miracle that you are functioning the way you are.  He was amazed at the amount of blood in my brain from the bleed.  He said that 9.5 out of 10 people would be completely blind on the right hand side of both eyes from a brain bleed like this.  He didn't understand why I could see as well as I am currently and that it was a blessing how close the bleed was in my brain to the area that controls my speech.  He could see where the bleed was on the back left side of head and how it reached around to the front left.  He also saw where it barely started around on the back right side and that is where it just slightly touched the area that controls my right leg and since it wasn't a whole lot it didn't mess with my right arm.  The great feeling to all of this is that I finally feel like someone understands what is going on with me.  I felt like he just jumped into my body and felt what I feel every day.  He explained to us that he believes that I was born with a blood vessel abnormality and all of this resulted from the large amount of blood that your body makes while you are pregnant.  He looked at me in the eyes and said it is a blessing that this didn't happen before having Parker.  He also explained how we are not born with both eyes perfectly aligned and so therefore our brains have a auto pilot that fixes the minor flaws so we don't see double.  In the case of any head trauma, bleed, or stroke the auto pilot won't work and so therefore the double vision can get really bad as in my case.  He commented that there is no exercise that can fix this and that some special lenses and even surgery can align things.  He wanted to wait on surgery at this point and try the lenses and see how we do with those.  He wants to see me in 3 months to measure some things and check up on how well the lenses are working.

The best part of all...
After he explained everything to us he asked me if it would be ok if he prayed with me.  That was the best thing that he said to me.  I was honored and he grabbed my hand and held it between his and began by saying...Lord, I want to thank you for bringing Sarah to me.  I want to thank you for the miracle of her being here and being able to squeeze my hand right now.  I want to pray for those boys of hers and for their health.  I pray for her eyes and that you may heal them and help her to see.  I pray that you may guide me as a doctor to help her.  I pray for safety and we take this time to lift you up.  In Jesus name we pray Amen

Tears were running down my face and as he handed me some tissues I asked if I could hug him.  We hugged and I couldn't say thank you enough.  He walked us out to the front office and as we headed to the elevators I looked at Nic and said wasn't that amazing?  God's timing is sure perfect.  Sometimes I think we think that we know and yet it is times like these that we don't know a thing and have to just sit back and take in God's perfection.

6 comments:

Dena said...

All I can say is "How great is our God"! You have come so far, and I know there's a long journey ahead, but your faith has been an incredible testimony. Thank you so much for sharing with us. We will keep you and the family in continued prayers. Love ya, Dena

Audra said...

Our God is so good, so sweet. What a precious thing he did for you and Nic and also Dr. Farris. Tears are streaming down my cheeks picturing the moment that you were able to see one building for the first time in months! I also have a Dr. who prays with me and it is an amazing thing. Contiued prayers for the Slayton family and Dr. Farris!

Emily B. said...

Sarah, again your faith and journey through all of this is such a testimony to God's faithfulness. He has greater purposes/timing than we can believe... and you're right, we think we know better sometimes! So glad to hear this news for many reasons!

Unknown said...

I am completely overwhelmed with tears of joy! I have been specifically praying that God would answer many of your questions! I think that is just what has happened! What a mighty God we serve! I love you guys!

Teresa said...

Simply amazing to see the path God has you on and the connections he is making for you along the way!! I too am a bawling mess reading these posts!! Bless you and my prayers are with you often!!

Unknown said...

Our God is definitely an Awesome God! What a wonderful testimony to His faithfulness you are, dear Sarah! Blessings to you, your family...and the wonderful Christian Doctor who is guiding you through this part of your recovery! I feel so blessed to know you, my faith is strengthened again and again as I follow your "walk". Take care, dear girl!
Debbie G.