Monday, August 30, 2010

More Therapy

Tomorrow I go for my first appointment for occupational therapy at Envision in Wichita. What an answer to prayer it has been so far since insurance will pay for it. We will see what they say about my vision and what they can do to help me out.

In regards to vision it has improved since I have been home, but it seems like it has come to a stopping point. I still see about the first 3 letters in a word so reading is still difficult, but I think I am learning new ways of reading. It is amazing how your brain works and how you can train yourself to use different parts of it to compensate for the parts that have brain damage. Wow! I am sure glad that God was in charge of creating us.

I have also been blessed by our regular optometrist as Dr. Gordon here in Derby can really relate to vision issues. As Nic was going for his regular check-up before school started back up he was talking to Dr. Gordon about me and the doctor said he woke up one morning cross eyed and couldn't see. This happened about 10 years ago and come to find out he had a brain bleed in the center. He has given me such encouragement and support during this time and has asked me to come in every 2-4 weeks to just check in and possibly do a case study using the I-Pad for those with vision loss. He has told me that my vision loss is the hardest to work with since it is the upper right quadrant of both eyes that is missing so therefore things do disappear and reappear on me. He has recommended me taking folic acid, B-6, and B-12 to help with regrowth of nerves from the eyes to the brain. He even said taking B-12 injections would be great. He encourages me to use my hands as much as possible to help trigger brain functions.

Not only have I gone to physical therapy, occupational therapy, but now my sister is working on knit therapy for me. My sister is an amazing knitter and so since I am to use my hands and work with tactile things she is coming over on Fridays to help me out with my cowl that I am knitting. It is one thing that is enjoyable for me since I only have to look at one place and it gives me something to focus on. She gave me a very special gift that she had been working on since I went into the hospital and that is a healing shawl. The yarn is just amazing and the detail work is gorgeous. She told me it is filled with her prayers and tears. It sure was special and I will always keep it close to remember the love that is around me.

Thank you all for your support during this time as the vision, balance, and muscle coordination on my right side is still a work in progress. We take for granted the things we have as I am reminded each day when I open my eyes and look around and put my feet on the ground to get out of bed. It has taken a loving husband, a wonderful family and the many prayers from friends to be the therapy that I need. Thanks again! I love you all!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Love you Sarah! Your love for the Lord and faith in your recovery and hopefulness is such an inspiration!! You're in my prayers every day. XOXOX

Kristen said...

I have a note card that I keep on my stove top Range of prayer requests that I pray through as I cook. "Sarah's complete healing" is one of the seven requests that continues to be on the list week in and week out! Keep on pressing on, girl! Love ya!