Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Visit Down Memory Lane

Today my mom and I met with Dr. Reddy who is a radiologist at St. Francis Hospital where I had most of my stay.  This man is so wise and he remembers everything and does an amazing job of explaining things so that we can understand them.  He was such a big part of my situation in finding what was going on in my head and what needed to be done.  We visited with him for about 30 minutes straight and he showed us the images from April when everything happened and what they did during the 2 angiograms.  He showed me where the two veins in the back of your head split off and how the one side was sending blood up to the brain, but it wasn't sending blood back down.  Therefore they did the angiograms to see what was blocking the blood from moving back down.  They were never able to actually reach the area that was stopping the blood due to it being to far and to dangerous.  They came to the agreement that it must be a clot, but they couldn't be 100% sure since they couldn't see under the blood that was there at the time.  They did tell me the body would absorb the blood and then they would be able to see if there was anything underlying under the blood.  He also showed us where he is confused why there was blood that leaked out from the vein area along the side of my brain to the front of my brain which caused a intraparenchymal hematoma.  We took a look at the images from the MRA and he said things for the most part looked good, but he wasn't able to see everything well enough to diagnosis it as a true blood clot and that there wasn't something underneath.  The MRA images did show where the blood was by leaving the iron deposits that will remain there the rest of my life since the body leaves them there.  He recommended me get a full MRI with contrast injected and another one without contrast, along with a MRV which shows some more images for him to review.  I trust this genius and said " sign me up!"  He called over to the imaging department and they worked me in for about the 1:00 time.  He took us over there to fill out paperwork and get things ordered.  We did also talk about my vision and my right leg and he mentioned the name of the Neuro Opthamologist down in Oklahoma...the same one that Dr. Park is going to refer me onto.  He highly recommended the man as well and said he himself had trained with him and he had sent his own son down to him to train as well.  This was encouraging news as I can't wait to meet the guy.

The brain scans took a little more than 2 hours and they gave me some noise canceling headphones that I could wear the entire time that would play the radio station of my choice.  I picked 99.1 and right when the lady put the headphones on my head a new song started and sang...You will be safe in His arms!  I just closed my eyes and had a time of worship in the hospitals expensive MRI machine.  You never know where your going to have some "God Time" and my time was there in that tube for a couple of hours.  The hardest thing was to keep from singing and dancing since I had to hold still and they did tape my head down.

Once we left the imaging department we did walk past the Neuro Critical Care Unit where I spent the most of my time and money at $9,000.00 a day for 14 days.  I just wanted to see if there were any of the nurses or doctors that I had at that time.  I did see one nurse and one doctor and I got to thank them for everything and they remembered me as "the young one." 

I am to call Dr. Reddy tomorrow around 10:00 after 2 radiologists have read the images.

My prayer is that there will be nothing there, but as usual God is in control no matter what.  I will have more of a plan after we see what the images show as to whether or not more action is going to be needed including another angiogram where they run the wires and tubes up to my brain.

Thank you for your prayers and may God continue to bless you during your time with Him.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I cry every time I read an update. Mostly because I'm so thankful that you are here and able to blog. God has worked miracles over you and I know that he has His hand prints all over this day as you await new news. Praying for you this AM... much love!